> On Aug 18, 2017, at 10:16 AM, Pierre Tardy <tar...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> So we may want to allow administrator to  enforce maximal limits in the REST
> API service.
> This means that if people want more, they deal with paging in their scripts.
> gitlab has a default policy of 100 for all their queries.

Yes, I think you’ve hit on something….

I think the bigger issue is not the maximum upper bound, but a (much smaller)
normal upper bound.   I think we may be talking about two limits.   The
absolute one to which you’re referring above is in my mind of lesser
importance.   There should be a default limit for query results set in the
code; overridable via configuration for a particular instance, and further
overridable via a query parameter.   The default should not be “all” — this
simply invites trouble to appear at some point in time, and further I think
it’s safe to say that most use cases are not interested in “all”, so this
doesn’t even represent a compromise.   The few use cases that need lots of data
can explicitly set a higher query limit.   (The max upper bound, by the way,
should be set in code and also overridable in configuration, but not via a
query parameter.)