Hi Steve,

On Oct 18, 2011, at 5:01 PM, Line, Steve wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I'm having fits trying to update buildr on a Solaris 10 box. Can't get it to
> work with ruby or jruby.
>
> I updated ruby to 1.8.7 and when I run gem update builr I get:
>
> -bash-3.00# gem update buildr
> Updating installed gems
> Nothing to update
> -bash-3.00# buildr --version
> Buildr 1.3.3 (JRuby 1.1.4)

It looks like the `buildr` executable on your path is using JRuby. You could
confirm this with `which buildr`. If so, updating the plain ruby version will
have no effect on what happens when you run `buildr`. You could try running the
ruby version using `ruby -S buildr` to see if you get a different result.

> If I use jruby I get this:
>
> -bash-3.00# jruby -S gem update buildr
> Updating installed gems
> ERROR:  While executing gem ... (Gem::RemoteFetcher::FetchError)
>    bad response Found 302 (http://gems.rubyforge.org/latest_specs.4.8)
>
> -bash-3.00# jruby -S gem update buildr  --source http://rubygems.org
> Updating installed gems
> ERROR:  While executing gem ... (Gem::RemoteFetcher::FetchError)
>    bad response Found 302 (http://rubygems.org/latest_specs.4.8)
>
> Could somebody offer some help?  I don't care whether we use jruby or ruby I
> just want buildr to update and work.

This is a rubygems problem. The version of JRuby you have installed (1.1.4) is
very old (August 2008). Apparently the rubygems library that's included with it
doesn't work with rubygems.org as it is today. Can you upgrade to a more recent
version of JRuby? (AFAIK, you can't upgrade rubygems alone on JRuby.)
Alternatively, you might be able to download the buildr gem directly[1] and
install it from the file, but I don't know that the current version of buildr
will work with a JRuby that's that old.

Rhett

[1]: http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=3180