I'll go so far as to suggest a change that would enable both of these.  In
the DefaultRestletBinding class, the populateRestletResponseFromExchange
method could start like this:

        public void populateRestletResponseFromExchange(Exchange exchange,

        Response response) {

                Object body = exchange.getOut().getBody();

                MediaType mediaType = null;

                String contentType = (String) exchange.getOut().getHeader(
                                CONTENT_TYPE_HEADER);

                if (contentType != null) {
                        mediaType = MediaType.valueOf(contentType);
                }

                if (mediaType == null) {
                  if (body instanceof String) {

                  mediaType = MediaType.TEXT_PLAIN;

                  } else if (body instanceof StringSource || body instanceof
DOMSource)
                  {

                  mediaType = MediaType.TEXT_XML;

                String responseCodeHeader = (String)
exchange.getOut().getHeader(
                                RESPONSE_STATUS_CODE_HEADER);

                if (responseCodeHeader != null) {
                        response.setStatus(Status.valueOf(Integer
                                        .parseInt(responseCodeHeader)));
                }

... (rest of method is as before)

In this case, headers could be set that would indicate what content type /
status code to use, and the current behavior would be retained if not
specified.