Thanks for the help Claus. After removing the trailing &, it now
yields FailedToStartRouteException: apparently the directory is
not valid but the directory (C:\ftp\data\in.txt) is valid:

Caused by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Only directory is supported.
Endpoint must be configured with a valid starting directory:
C:\ftp\data\in.txt

This is likely a different problem - but I would appreciate any hints!

Thanx!

/U