I've just made a discovery on my own machine. Looks as though this issue may
actually be related to Spring. What I did was start up a broker, start up my
application that subscribes to a topic, shutdown the broker and:

Exception in thread "DefaultMessageListenerContainer-1"
java.lang.NullPointerException
        at java.lang.String.indexOf(String.java:1733)
        at java.lang.String.indexOf(String.java:1715)
        at
org.springframework.jms.support.JmsUtils.buildExceptionMessage(JmsUtils.java:255)
        at
org.springframework.jms.listener.DefaultMessageListenerContainer.handleListenerSetupFailure(DefaultMessageListenerContainer.java:745)
        at
org.springframework.jms.listener.DefaultMessageListenerContainer$AsyncMessageListenerInvoker.run(DefaultMessageListenerContainer.java:897)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:637)

The line in question is:

        public static String buildExceptionMessage(JMSException ex) {
                String message = ex.getMessage();
                Exception linkedEx = ex.getLinkedException();
                if (linkedEx != null && message.indexOf(linkedEx.getMessage())
== -1) {
// <----
                        message = message + "; nested exception is " + linkedEx;
                }
                return message;
        }

Any thoughts? Have we started using some later version of Spring?

Kind regards,
Christopher