I tracked it down a bit. Its something to do with auto commit.
There's something about it here:
http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/083dbfcc-8eac-4a5f-bd61-3a82dfc45...@visualdistortion.org

In my case I tried using the resetAutoCommit=false property on the JDBC component, and thought it had worked, but it seems that what happened is that it now runs with autoCommit=true which means the maxRows property is ignored and the whole ResultSet gets loaded and I then get OOM errors. So back to square 1 :-(

Seems like Camel is doing something with autoCommit which Postgresql is not liking.

Tim