If you can get a servlet container running, you can attach the
atmosphere-websocket's endpoint using its servlet.
Or if you need to start a server on your own, you can do this like in
this setUp method.
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=camel.git;a=blob;f=components/camel-atmosphere-websocket/src/test/java/org/apache/camel/component/atmosphere/websocket/WebsocketCamelRouterTestSupport.java

But we could also add the binary mode to camel-websocket. I have a
slight concern, however, for the producer side, as I see that it is
currently converting any data (also byte[] then) into String and sent
it over the socket. So if someone has a scenario having byte[]
messages at the producer side and their client is expecting String
messages, they will need to add the convertBodyTo step to explicitly
convert the byte[] messge into a String message in that case, though.
CAMEL-8070 created for this.

regards, aki