I haven't really used Camel yet, I'm just reading the manual to familiarize
myself with it, as some projects I'll be working with use it.

I noticed that the way you define the lazy-loaded mappings for components uses
properties files that aren't labeled as properties files.  For instance, to
define the mapping for a component named "foo", you place a file named just
"foo" in "META-INF/services/org/apache/camel/component", instead of
"foo.properties".

I can deal with this, but it just seems odd.  Is there any background on why it
was done this way?