I have multiple context, and I use direct-vm to call route in another
context. If there any exception, direct-vm is not passing that exception
correctly to the parent/source route. If I use nmr, then source route gets
the exception and onException is getting called correctly.

Here in this example

 <camelContext id="context1" trace="true"
xmlns="http://camel.apache.org/schema/spring";>

        <onException>
            <exception>java.lang.Throwable</exception>
            <handled>
                <camel:constant>true</camel:constant>
            </handled>
            <to uri="bean:exceptionProcessor" />
        </onException>

        <route id="context1route">
             <from uri="cxfrs:bean:serviceEndpoint"/>
                        <to uri="direct-vm:route2"/>
                </route>
</camelContext >

<camelContext id="context2" trace="true"
xmlns="http://camel.apache.org/schema/spring";>

        <route id="context1route">
             <from uri="direct-vm:route2"/>
                        <to uri="bean:someProcessor"/>