> On September 20, 2018 at 7:30 AM Claus Ibsen <claus.ib...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Hi
>
> You can use the splitter and aggregator to do something like that.
>
> The aggregator can group the splitted messages together based on that
> frame, and it can do this in out of order.
> And the output of the aggregator is routed separated from the input (async)
>
> Maybe try to build a simple use-case / sample / unit test with just
> the splitter and aggregator and see if you can build something.
> And if not then maybe post a bit here again with what you have done,
> so we can better help / understand your use-case.

Hi, Claus.

Thank you for your response.

As it turned out, I didn't need a Splitter or Aggregator at all to implement my
"distributed splitter/aggregator".

All I needed was a ProducerTemplate and some simple Processor classes.

It really ended up being a thing of beauty...

I'll include the sanitized code below for anyone who is interested.

[ First I list the "before" SENDER / RECEIVER, which doesn't have data chunking,
  and then the "after" SENDER / RECEIVER which includes a "DataChunker" to do
the Splitting
  and a "DataChunkProcessor" to do the Aggregating. ]

Thanks again.

Ron

p.s. And if anyone wants to help me figure out how to get @Autowired to work
for ProducerTemplate, that would be great.
     Otherwise, creating and holding onto the first ProducerTemplate I need is
working just fine.
     From googling, the best I can determine is that somehow my Processor
@Component classes are being processed
     before the CamelContext is fully up (and so there's no default
ProducerTemplate to inject).  Yes...?

BEFORE, without data chunking (splitting/aggregating).

SENDER:

@Component
public class Route extends RouteBuilder
{
    @Override
    public void configure () throws Exception
    {
        restConfiguration()
                .host("localhost").port(8080)
                .bindingMode(RestBindingMode.json);

        getContext().setStreamCaching(true);

        from("timer:autos?period={{timer.period}}")
                .streamCaching()
                .to("rest:get:auto/list")
                .to("direct:udp");

        from("direct:udp")
                .convertBodyTo(String.class, “UTF-8”)

.to("netty4:udp://localhost:{{receiver.port}}?udpConnectionlessSending=true&sync=false")

RECEIVER:

@Component
public class AdapterRouteBuilder extends RouteBuilder
{
    @Override
    public void configure () throws Exception
    {
        JacksonDataFormat autoListJson = new ListJacksonDataFormat(Auto.class);

        getContext().setStreamCaching(true);

        from("netty4:udp://localhost:{{receiver.port}}?sync=false")
                .to("direct:autolist");

        from("direct:autolist")
                .unmarshal(autoListJson)
                .process(new AutoListProcessor())  // creates a protobuf, sets
it in the Exchange
                .to("direct:protobuf");

        from("direct:protobuf")
                .marshal().protobuf()

.to("rabbitmq:{{rabbitmq.exch}}?connectionFactory=#rabbitmq&routingKey={{rabbitmq.rkey}}&exchangeType=topic&durable=false&autoDelete=true");

AFTER, with data chunking (splitting/aggregating).

SENDER:

@Component
public class Route extends RouteBuilder
{
    @Override
    public void configure () throws Exception
    {
        JacksonDataFormat autoListJson  = new ListJacksonDataFormat(Auto.class);
        JacksonDataFormat dataChunkJson = new
JacksonDataFormat(DataChunk.class);

        getContext().setStreamCaching(true);

        restConfiguration()
                .host("localhost").port(8080)
                .bindingMode(RestBindingMode.json);

        getContext().setStreamCaching(true);

        from("timer:autos?period={{timer.period}}")
                .to("rest:get:auto/list")
                .to("direct:datachunker");

        from("direct:datachunker")
                .unmarshal(autoListJson)
                .process(new DataChunker());  // creates DataChunk; sends
directly to "direct:udp"

        from("direct:udp")
                .marshal(dataChunkJson)
                .convertBodyTo(String.class, "UTF-8")

.to("netty4:udp://localhost:{{receiver.port}}?udpConnectionlessSending=true&sync=false")

RECEIVER:

@Component
public class AdapterRouteBuilder extends RouteBuilder
{
    @Override
    public void configure () throws Exception
    {
        JacksonDataFormat dataChunkJson = new
JacksonDataFormat(DataChunk.class);

        getContext().setStreamCaching(true);

        from("netty4:udp://localhost:{{receiver.port}}?sync=false")
                .to("direct:datachunk");

        from("direct:datachunk")
                .unmarshal(dataChunkJson)
                .process(new DataChunkProcessor());  // sends directly to
"direct:protobuf"

        from("direct:protobuf")
                .marshal().protobuf()

.to("rabbitmq:{{rabbitmq.exch}}?connectionFactory=#rabbitmq&routingKey={{rabbitmq.rkey}}&exchangeType=topic&durable=false&autoDelete=true");

public class DataChunker implements Processor
{
//    @Autowired
//    private ProducerTemplate producerTemplate;  // XXX: can't get this to work

    private ProducerTemplate producerTemplate = null;

    private static int frame = 0;

    public void process (Exchange exchange) throws Exception
    {
        if ( producerTemplate == null ) producerTemplate =
exchange.getContext().createProducerTemplate();

        List<Auto> autos = null;
        try {
            autos = exchange.getIn().getBody(List.class);
        } catch (Exception e) {
            System.out.println("*** ERROR: DataChunker: process: " +
e.getMessage());
        }

        ++frame;

        int packet = 0;
        for ( Auto auto : autos )
        {
            DataChunk chunk = new DataChunk();
            chunk.setFrame(frame);
            chunk.setPacket(++packet);
            chunk.setTotalPackets(autos.size());
            chunk.getList().add(auto);

            producerTemplate.sendBody("direct:udp", chunk);
        }

        // XXX: That's it.  Don't need to do: exchange.getIn().setBody(...);

public class DataChunkProcessor implements Processor
{
    private static class DataFrame
    {
        public int frame = 0;
        public int size  = 0;  // expected # packets, from a DataChunk header

        public boolean written = false;

        public Set<Integer> packets = new HashSet<Integer>();
        public List<Autos>  autos   = new ArrayList<>();

        // XXX: ... stuff left out
    }

//    @Autowired
//    private ProducerTemplate producerTemplate;  // XXX: can't get this to work

    private ProducerTemplate producerTemplate = null;

    private static DataFrame dataFrame = new DataFrame();

    public void process (Exchange exchange) throws Exception
    {
        DataChunk chunk = null;
        try {
            chunk = exchange.getIn().getBody(DataChunk.class);
        } catch (Exception e) {
            System.out.println("*** ERROR: DataChunkProcessor: process: " +
e.getMessage());
        }

        // XXX: process DataChunk, store stuff in 'dataFrame', determine if it
is time to write, etc.

        if ( it_is_time_to_write ) {
            buildAndWrite(exchange);
        }

        // XXX: don't have to do anything to the Exchange; the route has
effectively ended in RouteBuilder
    }

    public void buildAndWrite (Exchange exchange) throws ParseException
    {
        if ( producerTemplate == null ) producerTemplate =
exchange.getContext().createProducerTemplate();

        MyProtobuf proto = buildProtobuf();  // XXX: loops on dataFrame.autos
and builds custom protobuf object
        producerTemplate.sendBody("direct:protobuf", proto);
        dataFrame.written = true;