I  have been trying for more than a week to get a  ws-security cxf-proxy
setup based on Camel 3.8 and Java 8.

Cxf is using policy based approach.

The error is :

    Could not find conduit initiator for address:
jaxws:bean:realWebServiceClient and transport:
http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/http

Even though the  route to the real service sets dataFormat=CXF_MESSAGE

I see in the logs that camel is treating it as RAW:

INFO  ReflectionServiceFactoryBean   - Creating Service {
http://reportincident.example.camel.apache.org}ReportIncidentEndpointService
from WSDL: etc/report_incident.wsdl

INFO  ServerImpl                     - Setting the server's publish address
to be http://localhost:58991/cxf-ws-security-proxy/webservices/incident

INFO  RAWDataFormatFeature           - removing the interceptor
org.apache.cxf.interceptor.OneWayProcessorInterceptor@6fa0450e

INFO  RAWDataFormatFeature           - removing the interceptor
org.apache.cxf.jaxws.interceptors.WrapperClassInInterceptor@37468787

INFO  RAWDataFormatFeature           - removing the interceptor
org.apache.cxf.jaxws.interceptors.HolderInInterceptor@51ec2856

INFO  RAWDataFormatFeature           - removing the interceptor
org.apache.cxf.jaxws.interceptors.SwAInInterceptor@714f3da4

INFO  RAWDataFormatFeature           - removing the interceptor
org.apache.cxf.frontend.WSDLGetInterceptor@1caa9eb6

INFO  RAWDataFormatFeature           - removing the interceptor
org.apache.cxf.jaxws.interceptors.SwAOutInterceptor@6ae62c7e

INFO  RAWDataFormatFeature           - removing the interceptor
org.apache.cxf.jaxws.interceptors.WrapperClassOutInterceptor@2e869098

INFO  RAWDataFormatFeature           - removing the interceptor
org.apache.cxf.jaxws.interceptors.HolderOutInterceptor@37c36608

Which may be related to the error.

I have checked cxf dependencies, varied the dataFormat, and if dataFormat
uses the default I am seeing a ‘serviceClass’ must be specified. I also
tried multiple ways manually define a http conduit ....

 I made the same changes to tbe cxf-proxy to demonstrate.

The camel-config.xml can be found at:

https://github.com/free-ice/cxf-ws-security-proxy/blob/main/src/main/resources/META-INF/spring/camel-config.xml

The published code demonstrates the error and instructions for running are
the same as for cxf-proxy. The code does not include a service mock to
receive the messages which isn’t necessary at this point.

Does anyone have suggestions?