The old-fashioned standard of the Servlet API required that the request parameters were available through the request.getParameter* methods, including the getParameterMap(), be that GET query parameters or the POST form data load.

Camel collects anything looking like a Map<String,Object> into the Camel Message headers, mixing the HTTP request parameters, HTTP headers and something else. It apparently continues to do so, however, somehow clearing the HttpServletRequest.getParameter* results, but this isn't my problem. It works the same way in Camel 2 and Camel 3.20.4 which I'm trying to migrate to, and all inconsistencies are already worked around.

My problem is that the Message.getBody(Map.class) behaviour has changed. Try change Camel 3 to 2 in the pom.xml of the test project and the same code will magically work as expected.