I agree with this statement. Configuration of EL6 or Ubuntu or even
Windows image should be trivial given configuration management.

That said, I understand there are some situations where it isn't
practical, or config management isn't in use. The technical answer is:

For converting to/from KVM to to/from raw formats or VMDK qemu-img is
your friend.
For converting to/from VHD for xen, vhd-util is your friend, though
there are several other apps out there.
I have been in places where I had to use qemu-img to do conversions
rather than 'doing it the right way' and it's worked well. If I had
the option though, I think I'd have preferred to put config management
in place and do it in that manner.

--David

On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 12:04 PM, Kirk Jantzer <kirk.jant...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It is my belief that the cloud is the IaaS and that the applications that
> run on the cloud should be built for failure of the IaaS: they
> (instances/applications) should be rapidly deployable. So, it shouldn't
> matter what cloud product (openstack/cloudstack/vmware/aws/etc...) you
> provide to your customers, they should be able to redeploy their
> application whereever they go or are given for IaaS.
>

> On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 11:57 AM, Jason Pavao <jason.pa...@oracle.com>wrote:
>
>> This is a VERY high level of the steps, dealing with different
>> Hyper-visors will produce varying results.
>>
>> Is there a low level guide to importing/exporting imagery between kvm, xen
>> and  vmware?
>>
>> Something concise enough to work well with any cloud?
>>
>> -jason
>>

>> On 7/14/2013 12:18 AM, Nils Vogels wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Tao Lin,
>>>
>>> Currently, the only way known to me is
>>>
>>> 1) Stop the instance in OpenStack
>>> 2) Import the instance as a template
>>> 3) Create a new instance, based on that template
>>> 4) Run the new instance in CloudStack