I think the issues I've seen with large KVM clusters have been solved by
now, and even in older versions there were workarounds.  People have
been using larger KVM clusters going back to the 2.2.x releases.

I don't know the current reasoning behind this requirement.  It may be
that only up to a 16 host configuration is tested.

Best regards,
Kirk