Hi again,

"Did you stop start the vm after updating the Userdata (after step 4).Even
after stop and start if same behavior exists then this is an issue." - Yes,
I did restart the VM and the behavior is the same (available user data,
removed SSH public key).

"The public key being removed from the VR is the correct behavior. The VR
has a cache that stores the ssh key when you make the API call and once it
has been requested is removed from the cache." - Nope, this is NOT true. VR
stores user data and SSH public key on two distinct files. I looked at the
source code here  saveUserDataToRouter() in
file
server/src/com/cloud/network/router/VirtualNetworkApplianceManagerImpl.java.
When saving user data to VR, it specifies SSH public key as null and that
removes the public key from the VR.

I think the correct behavior should be to check if there is existing SSH
public key for this VM. If this is true to specify its value as method
argument. Definitely, this seems to be an issue.

--
Best regards,
Stanislav Petrov