Hi Junaid,

On 13-Nov-2013, at 5:07 pm, Junaid Shahid <shahid.jun...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
> We are running a mixture of Windows and Linux VMs under different accounts
> on our cloud, that is based on CloudPlatform 3 (I know that it's a mailing
> list for ACS, but I still need your feedback so read on please :)).
>
> The Primary storage is based on iSCSI with GigE link, and Xen hyperviser.
>
> Now the problem is that whenever we run Windows OSes with applications like
> Exchange, Sharepoint and particularly MS Lync (that includes AD and MSSQL
> as pre-requisites..), the GigE link to Primary Storage becomes so congested
> that it affects the whole cloud environment. Nothing remains usable
> anymore, the performance of Linux VMs also is affected in the process.

Add additional GigE links? :)

> So what does your experience say, what should we do:
> 1)  Segregate the Windows VMs to their own cluster and their own separate
> Primary storage.
> 2) Use local storage for the "pre-cloud era" traditional Windows workloads
> such as MS Exchange etc.
> 3)  Is cloud environment feasible at all for Hosted Exchange and the like,
> as Local storage that runs on the speed of the motherboard back-plane, of
> course cannot be matched by a GigE link alone.
>
> Awaiting your valuable feedback all :)

I would start with a capacity planning exercise and augment the network
with additional NICs etc.

Capacity planning is a must for any kind of workload.

Regards.

--
@shankerbalan

M: +91 98860 60539 | O: +91 (80) 67935867
shanker.ba...@shapeblue.com | www.shapeblue.com | Twitter:@shapeblue
ShapeBlue Services India LLP, 22nd floor, Unit 2201A, World Trade Centre,
Bangalore - 560 055

CloudStack Bootcamp Training on 27/28 November, Bangalore
http://www.shapeblue.com/cloudstack-training/

intended recipient of this email, you must neither take any action based upon
its contents, nor copy or show it to anyone. Please contact the sender if you
believe you have received this email in error. Shape Blue Ltd is a company
incorporated in England & Wales. ShapeBlue Services India LLP is a company
incorporated in India and is operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. Shape
Blue Brasil Consultoria Ltda is a company incorporated in Brasil and is
operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue is a registered trademark.