I think there is an error in the upgrade documents and below I have tried to
explain what is wrong.

By following the upgrade doc's
http://cloudstack-release-notes.readthedocs.org/en/latest/upgrade/upgrade-4.
4.html You are not installing the correct system VM Template.

On a fresh install
http://docs.cloudstack.apache.org/projects/cloudstack-installation/en/latest
/installation.html Has the latest system VM Template.

Name: systemvm-xenserver-4.4

d.bz2>
http://cloudstack.apt-get.eu/systemvm/4.4/systemvm64template-4.4.0-6-xen.vhd
.bz2

Zone: Choose the zone where this hypervisor is used

Hypervisor: XenServer

Format: VHD

OS Type: Debian GNU/Linux 7.0 (64-bit) (or the highest Debian release number
available in the dropdown)

Extractable: no

Password Enabled: no

Public: no

Featured: no

Routing: no

The URL should be
http://cloudstack.apt-get.eu/systemvm/4.4/systemvm64template-4.4.1-7-xen.vhd
.bz2

CONFIDENTIAL: This electronic mail, including any attachment(s) may contain
information that is privileged, confidential, and/or otherwise protected
from disclosure to anyone other than its intended recipient(s).  Any
dissemination or use of this electronic email or its contents (including any
attachments) by persons other than the intended recipient(s) is strictly
prohibited.  If you have received this message in error, please notify me
immediately by reply email so that I may correct my internal records.
Please then delete the original message (including any attachments) in its
entirety.  Thank you.