Hello Community,

We have found a very interesting issue with CPU allocation in ACS 4.3 and
VMware. When a Service Offering is configured, you can choose the number of
Cores and clock speed, which is simple enough. The problem comes in on HOW
the cores are assigned.

In VMware at least, each core is assigned as a vSocket, with 1 vCore. As an
example:

1.     Service Offering defined is 8 Cores @ 2.5GHz,

2.     Instance is provisioned as 8 vSockets with 1vCore per Socket

3.     OS displays all 8 "CPUs"

4.     Happiness!

But, when you are using Core based licensing with products such as Microsoft
SQL 2014 Standard, there is a limit on the number of supported "physical"
sockets, in this case, 4.

So when you run a SQL query/command, only 4 of the 8 cores are used, the
only way around this is to change the VMware settings to 4x vSockets with 2x
vCores per socket. There is a performance hit as described here:
http://blogs.vmware.com/vsphere/2013/10/does-corespersocket-affect-performan
ce.html, but the main issue is that Customers are trying to use all
available resources.

My questions from the info above:

1.     Will there be future support to define vSockets and vCores per
vSocket in a future release of ACS?

2.     What is the impact on ACS Usage and Management reporting if we change
the vSockets manually? (on VMware itself)

Your insights would be appreciated.

Regards

Tim