Hi Ben,
I'm sure that the DNS is resolving the right IP (aaa-bbb-ccc-ddd.domain.com -> aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd), I tried with wget using the same src of iframe (masquerade log):

$ wget https://123-123-123-123.domain.com/ajax?token=...(snipped)
--2018-02-02 10:24:23-- https://123-123-123-123.domain.com/ajax?token=...
Resolving 123-123-123-123.domain.com (123-123-123-123.domain.com)... 123.123.123.123 Connecting to 123-123-123-123.domain.com (123-123-123-123.domain.com)|123.123.123.123|:443...

here the command hangs until a timeout.