There is a global setting you have to set to use internal non public IP.

Try setting sec.storage.allow.internal.site to an internal network cidr.

You may need to destroy ssvm for settings to take effect. In my case there
is some sort of minor bug where it takes upward of 5 minutes for ssvm to
program the internal routes, but since this is onetime operation - I just
live with it.