Marty, Ilya is right I worked on this a few months ago, so let me try and
help you.

It sounds like you are mixing two types of ldap integration, There are
three:
1: link individual account
2: link a domain for which auto import will be enabled, this one will auto
create an account for each user
3: link a domain and accounts within it to administer your users in ldap

Which of the three are you trying?
Where did you add the basedn, globally or on the domain?

--
Daan