Actually, it works like everyone expects. In case of KVM you can just take
a look at running instance with ps xa. But, I don't recommend setting CPU
cap, though... VM will experience CPU steal, and users will not be happy.
Better to deploy nodes with low cpu frequency and many cores.

Without capping, the frequency is only for the resource calculation, when
VMs are deployed, specifically:
node.core-freq > freq && aggregate-node-freq-avail - cores x freq > 0 ->
permit