It seems to me the settings are taking from the zone settings (datacentre
table) hence manipulating that way will probably not work.

Fallback is obviously hard code it in the guest VM, or stick the setting in
userdata and script it to populate on startup.

Regards,
Dag Sonstebo
Cloud Architect
ShapeBlue