> How I got stats for all VMs, including system ones, was to install
> Prometheus, both the cloudstack and the libvirt exporter.
> I know it's "outside" Cloudstack, but may prove useful.

It looks like the Prometheus exporter is limited to per-zone statistics, though?
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/CloudStack+Metrics+Exporter+for+Prometheus

But yes, we're probably better off with collecting the metrics directly from
the hypervisor.

Previously, we installed a bunch of monitoring services inside the VRs, but I'd
like to build a cleaner solution that doesn't require messing with the system
VMs, if possible.

Since I'm also interested in other metrics besides the very basic ones (such as
NAT table size, per-network stats in a VPC, etc.), I think it would be best if
the VR template offered integrated monitoring capabilities.
Should I open a feature request for that?