Sharing this wiki page here, the current implementation might have changed from
this but still can be used as a reference:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/High+Availability+Developer%27s+Guide

-Jithin

From: Nux <n...@li.nux.ro>
Date: Wednesday, 11 October 2023 at 8:38 PM
To: users@cloudstack.apache.org <users@cloudstack.apache.org>
Cc: Bryan Tiang <bryantian...@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: AW: Cloudstack VM HA
What I learned in practice is that enabling Host HA affects VM HA.. in
that VM HA no longer works. :)

So what does Host HA do? It'll reboot the hypervisor via IPMI if it is
deemed unreachable. While the hypervisor is down or rebooting the VMs
CANNOT be moved/started on another hypervisor.

What does VM HA do? It'll make sure VMs on a HA offering will be
restarted (possibly on another hypervisor) if it is deemed down.
Possible scenarios where VM HA would kick in:
- hypervisor crashed and Cloudstack marked the VMs on it as down
- user has powered off the VM from within (poweroff via ssh for
example), Cloudstack will notice it is down and restart it

As part of VM HA and for data integrity, a hypervisor will keep a
heartbeat file (sort of lock file) on the NFS primary storage - if the
the NFS share has gone away it will assume it is in a network split or
has lost access to the storage and will forcefully reboot itself. This
is where that happens:

https://github.com/apache/cloudstack/blob/d2ad9363a264290e9e5ee58db4a745cbb0e1c62a/scripts/vm/hypervisor/kvm/kvmheartbeat.sh#L162

HTH