From: Paul Angus <pau...@apache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, February 20, 2024 15:55
To: d...@cloudstack.apache.org <d...@cloudstack.apache.org>
Cc: users@cloudstack.apache.org <users@cloudstack.apache.org>
Subject: RE: [VOTE] next version 20 instead of 4.20

Hi Daan,

From our wiki page:

For those that may not be familiar with Semantic Versioning, the number format
is: X.Y.Z, where X is the major version, Y is the minor version, Z is the patch
number. The community strives to ensure backward API compatibility within each
major version (i.e.: code written against the CloudStack 4.0.0-incubating API
should work with all future 4.y.z versions). The community may decide to
increment the major version number in situations where underlying
implementation details require a cloud operator to face significant challenges
in upgrading from one version to the next. This should be rare situation.

In practice, feature releases will normally be an increment of the minor
version number of the project. Feature releases that break backward
compatibility will cause the major version number to be incremented. Bug fix
releases will never increment anything except the patch number.
-- End quote.

Specifically:
The community may decide to increment the major version number in situations
where underlying implementation details require a cloud operator to face
significant challenges in upgrading from one version to the next. This should
be rare situation.

From this I can't see how we have broken the versioning.  Have we introduced
anything that meets the criteria above?  Again, the term 'minor version' is an
unfortunate one because it makes it sound like it wouldn’t contain big new
features.  However, that isn't the case, it can and should.

Also, I'd like to see fully laid out for the next few versions, how versioning
is proposed to work, and what each part of x.y.z.n is then going to denote.

- Paul