GitHub user GutoVeronezi added a comment to the discussion: KVMHAMonitor
getting initialized without host ha enabled

> afaik, this has 0 things to do with host HA, VM HA or anything else. This
> scrip (kvmspheartbeat.sh) has been there for last 12 years (that I'm aware
> of) - and it only checks if NFS storage is accessible, and if not, reboots
> (forcefully) the host.
>
> They only way (to my knowledge) to disable host reboots is to comment out the
> lines that does some echo into sys/proc...etc - at the VERY end of the script
> (that echo triggers forcefull reboot) - just comment out that single
> "echo.... line and you are good. Storage migh be unaccessible (heartbeat
> fail) but nothing will happen (log messages will say "I'm rebooting" but
> script is not doing anything due to line commented out)

@andrijapanicsb you can also disable this behavior with the agent property
`reboot.host.and.alert.management.on.heartbeat.timeout`, as Wei stated in
https://github.com/apache/cloudstack/issues/8682#issuecomment-2042289091.

> > @weizhouapache I would suggest to take another look into that and change it
> > default. In my opinion a host should not automatically reboot at all if no
> > settings are configured. From what I know this looks to me like old
> > behavior lost in the code.
>
> I agree with you. @sbrueseke
>
> cc @DaanHoogland @rohityadavcloud @andrijapanicsb @GutoVeronezi @wido your
> opinions ?

PR #4586 introduced this property with default as `true` to keep the behavior;
however, I also agree with @sbrueseke. With default as `true`, we are
delegating to ACS the decision of rebooting the host, which might not be
correct in several cases. I am inclined to make this property `false` by
default and focus on alerting the operators about the situation, so they can
take the right action over the environment.

A redesign of the feature might be needed; however, we need discuss it first.

GitHub link:
https://github.com/apache/cloudstack/discussions/8953#discussioncomment-9174433

----
This is an automatically sent email for users@cloudstack.apache.org.