GitHub user JoaoJandre added a comment to the discussion: RFC: Incremental RBD 
backup provider (port to 4.23) — design + working prototype

Hello, @zidz

Regarding your first two questions:
1. The `createBackupOffering` API can be generalized for other providers. I 
created it for KBOSS because it was needed. Currently, no other providers have 
any use for it so it is gated for KBOSS only. If you want to implement a new 
provider, I think it is a good idea to extend the `createBackupOffering` API.
2. If you are going to create a new provider, and it does not depend on any 
non-OSS libs, I would prefer it is always registered. No need for a new flag to 
build it.

Regarding extending KBOSS with support for RBD incremental backups. I think it 
would be a great idea, especially if you could make it support all the current 
workflows that KBOSS supports (backup creation, many types of restore, backup 
compression (if it makes sense for RBD), backup validation, backup extraction 
#13901). But even if you make it support only the basics (backup create, 
restore and delete) it would be great. The other workflows could be extended in 
the future.

However, if you are going to extend KBOSS, all code should be Java, as I do not 
believe that maintaining a bash script for a critical feature such as backups 
is a good idea, so you would have to change a lot of your current PR.

Regarding your process idea, I have one issue: From my testing, when exporting 
the base images, the whole image seems to be exported, even if most of it is 
empty. If I have a 100 GB disk with only 10 GB written, this process creates a 
100 GB image in the secondary storage; Is there a way to avoid creating thick 
images?

GitHub link: 
https://github.com/apache/cloudstack/discussions/14374#discussioncomment-18836179

----
This is an automatically sent email for [email protected].
To unsubscribe, please send an email to: [email protected]

Reply via email to