Yes, I agree, the http header should be set, particularly when already
providing the content type meta tag.  The header is much easier for
downstream filters to read and change, if necessary, anyway.  And the
encoding info is very necessary when displaying text using extended
character sets.

-Christopher

|         |           Jan Uyttenhove   |
|         |           <[EMAIL PROTECTED]|
|         |           ume.com>         |
|         |           02/17/2004 12:39 |
|         |           users            |

  |       To:       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                    |
  |       cc:
                          |
  |       Subject:  Re: [once again] best way to set http header encoding

that makes sense

The Tomcat changes/fixes related to this problem are released since
Tomcat 5.0.15, and also ready for Tomcat 4.1.30 (not released yet, cvs
version).

This is however a rather tricky situation, and I think we should at
least have the possibility to add the serializer encoding to the http
header also, and possibly even make it the default behaviour (via a
config option in web.xml?)

Jan