I am not aware of having done anything special to install Tomcat under Mac OS X.
As far as I recall, I downloaded jakarta-tomcat-5.0.16.tar.gz from Apache,
expanded it and started Tomcat with the bin/startup.sh which it contains.

I built a WAR file from Cocoon with ant, copied it into the webapps directory and
built my application on top of that.

I start Tomcat automatically at startup from /System/Library/StartupItems on port
8080 (which is the Mac OS X equivalent of /etc/init.d), but this is convenience
rather than functionality.

Steve