Hi,
for what it's worth, while using the following:

OS X 10.3.3
postgreSQL 7.4.1
pg74.1jdbc3.jar (postgreSQL JDBC driver)
Cocoon 2.1.4
Hibernate 2.1.1

I have had absolutely no encoding problems with postgreSQL. Maybe this can be attributed to using Hibernate as my persistence layer, and not using esql!

Peter