Thomas,

Sorry for the delay -- I've been out of pocket for a couple days.  First
off, I should give you a better picture of how we've been using OFBiz.
We're a consulting company that typically provides custom web
applications with a focus on Open Source.  One of our projects required
workflow and at the same time, I was working on putting together a list
of open source components for enterprise class applications.  Our search
for workflow turned up the OFBiz project as they had implemented an XPDL
compliant workflow engine.  A closer look at the overall architecture
turned out to provide most of what I was looking for in terms of
components and design (Service Oriented Architecture, Separation of
Concerns, Security, Persistence, Reporting, etc.).

We have not really utilized any of the vertical applications.  However,
the underlying data model is quite extensive and we've utilized it along
with some of the components a few times.  From a data model perspective,
it would be plenty flexible to handle a CRM application probably out of
the box.  There is a party manager that is fairly mature and I know you
can do mailings, but beyond that I don't know what other CRM features
have been implemented.  If you're interested, I can certainly look into
it further -- it would probably be good for me to know.

On the cocoon side, I've always been interested in the project, but have
only played with it on occasion.  Based on your email, I can't really
see a benefit to using both cocoon and OFBiz.  My lack of experience
with cocoon prevents me from giving you a good comparison, so I will
tell you the benefits I see in using OFBiz.  You can decide whether they
are actually beneficial in your situation.

1.  Standard Integrated Data Model
2.  Service Oriented Architecture
3.  Workflow Engine
4.  Security Integrated with Users in Data Model
5.  Existing Vertical Applications

There is definitely value in keeping it simple.  OFBiz is an enterprise
platform and as such has the inherent complexity.  If you're looking to
meet your requirements in short order, OFBiz will not work.  If you're
looking to provide integrated functionality beyond CRM in the future and
your timeframes permit, it might be a good option.

Good luck,

Chris