David
You can't do it directly within the document. But maybe you just need to think about the problem a little differently. Remember you don't need this aggregate document to "physically" exist. It just needs to be assembled at some point in your pipeline.

So I'd use a stylesheet to get what you. Often you can structure your stylesheet(s) as a general template into which you pass params to configure the included subelements. So you might have a simple document (say a table layout template for your page) and use the pipeline to pass the configuration information to the stylesheet that modifies your basic document. I do this with a single style sheet into which I pass params to cinclude the various fixed and variable content of each page's layout.

HTH,
Steve

Ok, I see the source of the problem now.  I am trying to resolve the
value of a variable from within an xml document, not within the
stylesheet.  I'm using the xml document to collect a bunch of xml
documents using cinclude.  That's where I need to have the name of a
file requested in the uri by the user.  So the question becomes how to
pass the name of a file to a cinclude:include directive inside an xml
document, if that makes sense.