I sort of remember doing something similar.
I think the key is the
disable-output-escaping="yes"
of the xsl.

Anyway, I hope this helps:

on the way in to the html

<<<< other code >>>>>

<xsl:element name="form">

<xsl:attribute name="action">protected-set?name=<xsl:value-of
select="@name"/></xsl:attribute>
<xsl:attribute name="method">post</xsl:attribute>

<textarea name="editor" rows="15" cols="60">
      <xsl:value-of disable-output-escaping="yes" select="text()" />
</textarea>
<input type="submit" value="submit" />
</xsl:element>

<<<< other code >>>>>
========

and on the out

<<<< other code >>>>>

<xsl:template match="h:[EMAIL PROTECTED]'editor']">
<parameter name="value">
<xsl:value-of disable-output-escaping="no" select="h:value" />
</parameter>
</xsl:template>

<<<< other code >>>>>