Gerald Aichholzer wrote:
On Tue, 03 Aug 2004 11:02:43 +0200, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Jan Hoskens wrote:

You may want to take a look at the wiki page: http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon/RequestParameterEncoding
I had this problem a while ago: http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-users&m=109100902605917&w=2
I'm wondering what the best solution is and which encoding is preferred for handling special characters or when UTF-8 / ISO 8859-1 should/could be used.

I can't see any reason why not to use Unicode charset with UTF-8 encoding only. It is supported by all common browsers ans allows you to use *all* Unicode <http://www.ltg.ed.ac.uk/~richard/unicode-sample.html> characters by just typing them into the source code.
Make sure that the charset information sent with HTTP header is compliant with the document's encoding.
Most browsers will use it for encoding input in forms.

I have a similar experience (and still no solution for it). All my
source XML-files are UTF-8 encoded. Coocon generates UTF-8 encoded
XHTML.

Mozilla and Firebird display the national characters correctly. But
Internet Explorer and Opera show only garbage instead of the special
characters.

Don't know exactly about Opera, but M$IE definitely doesn't evaluate

          <?xml version="1.0" encoding="..."?>.

Instead it wants to get the correct HTTP header's charset information.
--
Volkmar W. Pogatzki