Hello,

Last week I got the XMLFile input module working for a project at work. Since
we want to use XPath 2.0 in our XSLT transformations, I wanted to use Saxon8
as the default XSLT processor in Cocoon.

Using Cocoon 2.1.8 under Tomcat 5.

To use Saxon I used the following steps:

1. Downloaded the Saxon-B 8.1.6 zipfile from http://saxon.sourceforge.net and
   unpacked it in an empty directory.

2. Copied file saxon8.jar to the webapps/cocoon/WEB-INF/lib/ directory

3. In cocoon.xconf uncommented the Saxon XSLT Processor component:

   <component
     logger="core.xslt"
     role="org.apache.excalibur.xml.xslt.XSLTProcessor/saxon"
     class="org.apache.cocoon.components.xslt.TraxProcessor">
     <parameter name="use-store" value="true"/>
     <parameter name="transformer-factory"
       value="net.sf.saxon.TransformerFactoryImpl"/>
   </component>

4. In cocoon's sitemap.xmap, replaced transformer with name 'xslt' using Xalan
   with Saxon's processor:

   <map:transformer
     name="xslt"
     logger="sitemap.transformer.xslt"
     pool-max="32"
     src="org.apache.cocoon.transformation.TraxTransformer">
     <use-request-parameters>false</use-request-parameters>
     <use-session-parameters>false</use-session-parameters>
     <use-cookie-parameters>false</use-cookie-parameters>
     <xslt-processor-role>saxon</xslt-processor-role>
     <check-includes>true</check-includes>
   </map:transformer>

5. Restarted Tomcat5

Normal transformations work as expected, but when I use expressions like
<map:parameter name="proj" value="{pprotoconf:/conf/proj}"/> in the sitemap
(these use the XMLFile input module), I get an error:

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Unknown type of result: class
javax.xml.transform.dom.DOMResult

Start of the stacktrace:

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Unknown type of result: class
javax.xml.transform.dom.DOMResult
        at
        net.sf.saxon.event.ResultWrapper.getReceiver(ResultWrapper.java:142)
        at

net.sf.saxon.IdentityTransformerHandler.startDocument(IdentityTransformerHandler.java:94)
        at

org.apache.cocoon.xml.AbstractXMLPipe.startDocument(AbstractXMLPipe.java:47)
        at org.apache.xerces.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.startDocument(Unknown
        Source)
        at org.apache.xerces.impl.dtd.XMLDTDValidator.startDocument(Unknown
        Source)
        at org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentScannerImpl.startEntity(Unknown
        Source)
        at
        org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLVersionDetector.startDocumentParsing(Unknown
        Source)

When I replace '{pprotoconf:/conf/proj}' in the sitemap with a constant
string, the problem disappears. When I restore all changes and use Xalan again
as the default XSLT transformer, using the XMLFile imput module works again.

Does anyone know what's the problem?

Thanks for your help.

Fred