Hi Derek,

I encountered encoding problems here and there in java for a long time, because the JVM could not be enabled to use UTF-8 correctly because the underlying libc is not UTF-8 (or any other encoding) aware, expecially on Linux/*nix machines.

Since you are having this problem on a certain server, are you sure the JVM in that server is able to actually read/write UTF-8? you could write a very simple class with a main which loads or writes a file and/or to screen in UTF-8, and see if the JVM itself properly handles the UTF-8 encoding.

On older linux distributions (Debian potato, RedHat up to 6) you had to generate the locales, on modern linux distributions setting LC_ALL and LANG environment variables to, say, en_GB.UTF-8 tells the system which encoding is the default one. I don't know how the unix on that server handles this.

Not sure this is your case, but it worth a try.

Regars,
Simone

--
Simone Gianni

Derek Hohls wrote:

I am struggling to get forms displayed on a server -
UNIX machine running Cocoon 2.1.5 and JDK 1.4
(the same app works **fine** on the development
machine, running the same configuration, as well as
on a Linux server...)

The error message I get when trying to show the form
(filled with data from the database) is:

org.apache.cocoon.ProcessingException: Failed to execute pipeline.: java.lang.RuntimeException: org.xml.sax.SAXException: Attempt to output character of integral value 160 that is not represented in specified output encoding of .

[and no, there is no word missing just before the above "full stop"]

Based on mailing list and wiki suggestions I have tried:

<form action=... method="post" accept-charset="ISO-8859-1">

also:

in the form, *and* the stylesheet processing the form for display

also, in cocoon.xconf

 <jdbc name="pool_name">
   <pool-controller min="5" max="10"/>

<dburl>jdbc:mysql://YourHostName:3360/YourDataBaseName?useUnicode=true&amp;characterEncoding=ISO-8859-1</dburl>
   <user>database_user</user>
   <password>database_password</password>
 </jdbc>

NB - I am not trying to use any complex characters - inputs
should be "plain" English!

Is there a "Definitive Guide to Using Encoding" anywhere??

Thanks
Derek