From: jigo jacob <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 04:46:04 -0800 (PST)

I have downloaded the latest cocoon release 2.1.8.
After running the build I have copied the webapp
folder instead of the war file in the
TOMCAT_HOME/webapps directory. I  then accessed the
http://127.0.0.1:8080/cocoon/ I was able to see the
cocoon welcome page. I hope that confirms proper
installation of the cocoon. I am using jdk1.5.0.6 and
Tomcat/5.0.28
   I am trying to run a example in the Java&XML 2
edition book.

I put 2 files in the WEB-INF folder cocoon.properties
and web.xml

I aslo add two directories cocoon/XSL and cocoon/DTD
containing the xsl and dtd files respectively

I copied the contents.xml which contains of the
java&xml book in xml format

When I type the URL,
http://127.0.0.1:8080/cocoon/contents.xml
I get an error message
org.apache.cocoon.ResourceNotFoundException: No
pipeline matched request: contents.xml

This is my first cocoon application. Does anybody know
what is going wrong?. If anybody has a simple xml
cocoon application to run, please help so I can get a
hang of cocoon.

Do you have a sitemap pipeline that matches the content.xml URL?  The "No
pipeline matched request" message would suggest not.

Just because the file is present on disk, doesn't mean cocoon will serve it up, unless there's a pipeline which tells it to do so. You need to edit sitemap.xmap and define a pipeline that reads the file (with the file generator), possibly does things to it via transformers (e.g. applying your stylesheet templates to it with the XSL transformer), then serialises the results to the browser in a suitable form (with the HTML or XML serialiser).

The thing to remember is it's the pipelines' matchers that define the URL space in your web app, not the contents of the filesystem. You can organise things into subdirectories corresponding to the URL paths if you wish, but it's not compulsory. In fact, if you wanted, you could run the whole site with a single sitemap file and everything else read from a database (or content management repository, or web service, etc.) with normal filenames & extensions in all the URLs so that the user can't tell the difference! Or you could define a single pipeline with a reader that takes the full path & filename from the requested URL, looks for a static file of that name under your web app's root directory, and streams it back with the appropriate mime type. Not that you'd really want to do that, though, since Apache would probably do the same job a lot faster...

Andrew.