Working with Cocoon 2.1.8

I am getting the following error when I try to reference the
continuation variable, used for the form action.

javax.xml.transform.TransformerException: Could not find variable
  with the name of continuation

Basically, I am calling the form creation match via flowscript,
followed by a call to the form display match.  (Very standard stuff).
Each of these matches then generates the form definition and
template (respectively) using information sourced from a database.

If I take the result from each of the two matches ie. one XML file
with the form definition and one with the form template, and then
call these static files in similar way from flowscript, the
continuation
number is generated as expected.

How do I go about creating/referencing a continuation with a dynamic
form creation option?

Thanks
Derek

views of the CSIR.