2008/8/4 Alexandre Mazouz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Okay,
>
> My problem is now fixed.
>
> Instead of using HEAD request, i have used GET request :
>
> this.xmlHttp.open("GET", resourceName, false);
> this.xmlHttp.send(null);
>
> I think that Firefox 2.0 and Firefox 3.0 have different behaviour of how to
> handle request.
>
> For FF3
> *In the case of this.xmlHttp.open("HEAD", resourceName, false); : i have no
> responseXML (null)
> *In the case of this.xmlHttp.open("GET", resourceName, false); : i have
> responseXML
>
> For FF2
> *In the case of this.xmlHttp.open("HEAD", resourceName, false); : i have
> responseXML
> *In the case of this.xmlHttp.open("GET", resourceName, false); : i have
> responseXML
>
> Why this different behavior?

Given the point of a HEAD request is to fetch the response headers
without the actual body [1], I'm surprised you expected responseXML to
contain anything in the first place.  Are you sure the XHR
open("HEAD", ...) in FF2 is actually sending a HEAD and not using a
GET anyway?  It could be that version doesn't support HEAD and falls
back on the other method, and they've improved things by v3.  I'd be
tempted to try a packet sniffer or the Live HTTP Headers extension to
see exactly what gets sent & received.  Also check the web server
access logs to see what method it thinks was used in each case.  I'd
be surprised if the server responded differently to HEAD requests
according to the browser version, returning the content body in one
case and not the other.  What server software are you using anyway?

Andy.
[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_HEAD_request#Request_methods
--
http://pseudoq.sourceforge.net/  Open source java Sudoku application