Is MyTimerThread the task you want to schedule?
- you could create a spring bean, with
org.springframework.scheduling.quartz.JobDetailBean
- you can start your timerthread in the init() method of a servlet to
start a task off when cocoon starts working. Not sure if that works for
2.2.

Hope that helps...