I'm getting this error in apparently random circumstances on
http://publish.ucc.ie/researchprofiles/ using Cocoon 2.1.11 under
Tomcat5 on RHEL5.

This application is reprocessing some HTML feeds from another server in
order to present the information in a different layout, and do some
extensive cleaning-up of the data. Most of the time it works just fine.

The full stacktrace says:

> org.apache.cocoon.ProcessingException: Failed to process pipeline
>       at <map:serialize> - file:///var/www/xml/profiles/sitemap.xmap:74:18
>       at <map:transform> - file:///var/www/xml/profiles/sitemap.xmap:69:36
>       at <map:generate type="html"> -
> file:///var/www/xml/profiles/sitemap.xmap:68:17

The line numbers vary according to the page type (and thus which piece
of the pipeline).

All the templates generate the page layout by retrieving a HTML page via
Tidy, and slotting different pieces of data into different places: a
fairly typical mashup.

In the process, the XSLT will open five internal pipelines via
document() calls to retrieve data, each of which opens one or two other
document()s and two local (static) XML lookup tables (very small).

>       at <map:mount> -
> file:///usr/share/tomcat5/webapps/ROOT/sitemap.xmap:1115:57
>       at
> org.apache.cocoon.ProcessingException.throwLocated(ProcessingException.java:145)

Further down the stacktrace, it says:

> Caused by: java.net.SocketException: Too many open files
>       at java.net.Socket.createImpl(Socket.java:388)
>       at java.net.Socket.connect(Socket.java:517)
>       at java.net.Socket.connect(Socket.java:469)
>       at sun.net.NetworkClient.doConnect(NetworkClient.java:157)
>       at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.openServer(HttpClient.java:394)

In my ignorance of the internals of Cocoon and Tomcat and Java, is it
running out of file handles when making a HTTP call?

The server is lightly loaded, but each page does open a significant
number of document()s: is there a setting that will increase the number
of open files allowed?

Is there any way to get it to report *what* it was trying to open (the
URI) when it failed?

///Peter