I'm using fop 1.0 and batik 1.7 with Cocoon 2.2. There was a cocoon-fop-ng-impl floating around but it didnt work, embedded svgs crashed it (I posted a message about it here). I made a few changes to cocoon-fop-ng-impl and made a cocoon-batik-ng-impl and got it working.

You can get the source for both blocks from:
 http://www.megaupload.com/?d=KUCDZ3XE

Faw