On 09/02/2011 02:46 AM, Thorsten Scherler wrote:
Hi Andre,

sorry for top posting but I am responding from my mobile device.

Regarding 1) the org.apache.cocoon.serialization.TextSerializer migration into
c3 is ASAIK not yet done. However that should be pretty straight forward to
implement.

Yes, I was already thinking that I could do this.

Actually I did lately work with the RESTController of c3 since the JAX-RS
integration was not needed for my use cases. If you choose the c3 REST way you
can use the TextResponse [1]  to return your json objects to the client. In the
same package you will as well find a BinaryResponse [2] which you can use to
return binary data like images from your rest services.

The TextResponse is a good alternative, and I will certainly look into it. It is apparently not yet part of the current alpha Cocoon 3.0.0-alpha-3 that I downloaded from the cocoon website.

I just commited an example [3] of an asyncron processing with REST you may want to look
into. It is based on jquery on the client side but you will get the idea. If you look at
[4] you will see the basic background. The block provides a workig example when starting
with "mvn install jetty:run" and browse to localhost:8888/,

Great!

Regarding the bean lookup, why not using autowiring in your components (more
when you use the REST part)? See [5].

Yes, that would do it.

Thanks for your valuable response.
André

HTH

[1]
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/cocoon/cocoon3/trunk/cocoon-rest/src/main/java/org/apache/cocoon/rest/controller/response/TextResponse.java
[2]
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/cocoon/cocoon3/trunk/cocoon-rest/src/main/java/org/apache/cocoon/rest/controller/response/BinaryResponse.java
[3] http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/cocoon/cocoon3/trunk/cocoon-rest-optional/
[4] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COCOON3-75
[5]
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/cocoon/cocoon3/trunk/cocoon-sample/src/main/java/org/apache/cocoon/sample/controller/DemoRESTController.java?view=markup

Thorsten Scherler<thorsten.at.apache.org>
codeBusters S.L. - web based systems<consulting, training and solutions>
http://www.codebusters.es

Andre Juffer<ajuf...@cc.oulu.fi>  wrote:

Hi All,

I have two questions:

(1)
I want to be to be able to return JSON to the client, typically a
browser. The client is responsible to properly present the response to
the user, typically with the Dojotoolkit. As I would like to move to
cocoon3, I was looking for a JsonSerializer or a simple TextSerializer.

With cocoon 2.2, one can simply use the TextSerializer to return JSON,
by defining

<map:serializer name="json" mime-type="application/json; charset=UTF-8"
                 src="org.apache.cocoon.serialization.TextSerializer">
   <encoding>UTF-8</encoding>
</map:serializer>

Cocoon 3 apparently is restricted to only return XML/HTML [1], as far as
I can see. I did not find in the API any mentioning of other types of
serializers, besides XMLSerializer and FopSerializer.

If so, this would be a limitation. Especially for designing RIAs [2]
(like Twitter), it would be very useful to be able to return JSON.

So, is there a particular way to return JSON or Text.

(2)
With flowscript in cocoon 2.2, it was very easy to instantiate a Java
bean defined in some appropriate Spring bean configuration file, like

var someFacade = cocoon.getComponent("someFacade");
someFacade.doSomething(...);

Is there a recommended way in Cocoon 3 to instantiate beans. One could do

ApplicationContext context =
   new ClassPathXmlApplicationContext( new String[]
{"beans-spring.cfg.xml");
SomeFacade facade = (SomeFacade)context.getBean("someFacade");
facade.doSomething(...);

within a JAX-RS resource [3].

So, is this way to do instantiate beans?

Thanks,
Andre

[1] http://cocoon.apache.org/3.0/features.html
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rich_Internet_application