Hi Chris,

Not standard EXSLT functions, but I have loaded extension functions under 2.1.

I’ve just consulted my archives (2006!)…

Firstly, I used a .xweb patch file patch Cocoon’s servlet configuration, in
order to pre-load my extension classes using Cocoon's load-class init-param;
this was because doing it lazily at run-time created a class-loader
race-condition under high load, which caused a random extension class to be
called on production, and thus randomly fail with a NoSuchMethod exception,
which was perplexing to say the least (so I mention this so you don’t have the
same problem!):

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<xweb
xpath="/web-app/servlet[servlet-name='Cocoon']/init-param[param-name='load-class']/param-value"

remove="/web-app/servlet[servlet-name='Cocoon']/init-param[param-name='load-class']/param-value/text()"

        <!-- pre-load classes used as XSLT extensions to prevent classloader
race-condition under high load -->
        com.xxx.xml.exslt.Dates
        com.xxx.xml.exslt.FileUtils
</xweb>

etc.

This goes into cocoon's src/confpatch directory as e.g. load-class.xweb and
patches web.xml, unless you build it some other way.

Then you just write a simple POJO with static methods to do your functionality,
e.g. I had a little function for finding a local file-size:

package com.xxx.xml.exslt;

import java.io.File;

public class FileUtils {

        /**
         * returns the size of a file rounded to the nearest Kilobyte.
         * @param fileName
         * @return the file size in KB, or 0 if file not accessible.
         */
    public static long Size(String fileName) {
                 File file = new File(fileName);
                 return ((file.length()+512)/1024);
    }
}

Then to use this from the XSL, you just declare a namespace with the full class
name as the URI, and use the prefix and method name as you would use any other
function e.g.:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<xsl:stylesheet
    xmlns:file=“com.xxx.xml.exslt.FileUtils”>

   <xsl:template match=“something”>
        Size = <xsl:value-of select="file:Size($path)"/>
   </xsl:template>

</xsl:stylesheet>

Hope that works for you: it’s been a long long time since I did anything
Cocoony...

Ellis.