Hi Cristopher,

I more used to version 2.2 but it should be the same. By you description I
think about creating a new pipeline with a matcher to handle the external
request with a specific error handler[1] that contains a reader with an
empty file.

It should be something like:

<map:pipeline type="caching">

  <map:match pattern="remote-handler/**">
    <map:reader src="http://remote-server/{1}"/>
  </map:match>

  <map:handle-errors>
    <map:reader src="empty.xml"/>
  </map:handle-errors>

</map:pipeline>

Then you could substitute all your calls to external resources that needs
to produce an empty XML in case of error to call to the new matcher. This
way you can tune up the external pipeline for caching if it's needed.

I hope it helps.

Salu2.

[1]:
http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/userdocs/concepts/errorhandling.html#Error+Handler+Hierarchy