Vincent,

On 7/19/21 08:03, Vincent Neyt wrote:
Hi Cocoon users,

I'd like to ask your opinion on the long-term security risks of running Cocoon on a server. The colleague responsible for the servers at my university is inquiring if the software I'm using for my website is up to date and is concerned that I'm using outdated software that could in the future pose a security risk.

I'm using cocoon 2.1.11, which I could probably upgrade to 2.1.13 without many problems. But I'm concerned about the long-term, and wondering if it would perhaps be better to reprogram the website I've been working on for 10 years into eXist DB (which would be a huge time investment). I like cocoon very much and would love to continue using it if it's possible.

I'm curious to hear your thoughts about using Cocoon 2.1 for the long term: will it still work well inside future versions of servlet containers like Tomcat? What about the java dependencies? And will cocoon 2.1 continue to put out updates when security risks are identified?

I, like you, have been running Cocoon 2.1.x for years and would like to continue to rely on it for some important functions at $work.

I don't see any reason it wouldn't run on current and future Tomcat versions. There are a few "current" versions of Tomcat, and the only one I would expect to have some issues would be the Tomcat 10.x series, which implement the "Jakarta EE" specifications instead of the "Java EE" specifications. For the most part, these specifications are simply package-renamed versions of the original Java EE specs. So, for example, javax.servlet.whatever becomes jakarta.servlet.whatever and so on.

Tomcat has a migration tool which can migrate a binary web application (e.g. WAR file) from Java EE to Jakarta EE. It would be good to know if that tool works on a webapp which is Cocoon itself and/or Cocoon-bundled-with-your-application.

I'm a Tomcat committer and if there are any problems, we could work together to make sure Cocoon has plenty of life left in it.

With the semi-recent release of Cocoon 2.2, are there members of the community who would be interested in converting the project into a Jakarta EE-based project? There is no particular rush, and most of the conversion can be done essentially with a single sed script. But working that into the build process so you can say "build me a Java EE-based Cocoon" versus "build me a Jakarta EE-based Cocoon" would be really beneficial moving into the future.

[As a Cocoon user, I'd love to know what is necessary to upgrade from Cocoon 2.1 to 2.2. We have an ant-based build process for our application which starts with a pre-built cocoon.war and customizes it with everything we need. So if e.g. Maven can build Cocoon into a WAR file, I might be all set.]

-chris