Hello Chris,

I think you will not get any icon-type character on output without using
proper font rendering - like Emoji support? Emoji might not be supported by
default in Cocoon.
So this might be the reason why you get HTML entities instead of
Emoji-icons.
Also notice:
https://www.mail-archive.com/dev@cocoon.apache.org/msg61629.html

Greetings,