On Thu, Oct 26, 2006 at 04:27:55PM -0400, Tom Davis wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> On 2006 Oct 26, at 10:22 am, Dennis Melentyev wrote:
> >Hardly can see any reason to keep text-only browsers compatibility.
> >They are good for running from scripts but not for real surfing.
> >Almost everyone use Firefox/Opera/IE these days.

"Graceful degradation"

A properly designed web site degrades so that browsers that are less
capable are still reasonably usable.

Last time I tried Wired's web site in Netscape 4 (~3 years ago) it
came up with the text of the article at the top of the page and the
sidebars below it. That's a good behavior for a web page viewed in a
browser that doesn't support CSS. The pages were also fine in Lynx.

All it took was a tiny bit of care. How much effort is it to put the
content of a page above the sidebars in your properly written HTML?

> There are three very different reasons for keeping text-only browser
> compatibility:

> 3) Because that's actually the direction in which all Web designers
> are moving. A Standards Compliant Web site is actually a site in
> which the content (very simple HTML) is separate from the
> presentation (CSS). That does a number of things.

Not too many people write GUI programs with the heart of the program
intermixed with the GUI, for example. Mixing presentation with content is
just bad coding.

> It makes your site
> Accessible for the vision impaired which in the US is a legal
> requirement for all commercial sites. It reduces code maintenance

Well, only if the US government is a potential customer. If you want zero
federal dollars then you can lock out the blind on purpose even. There's
no law against being a jerk on your own dime.

   "I like being on the Daily Show." - Kermit the Frog, Feb 13 2001