On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 9:25 PM, Pierre Abbat <p...@phma.optus.nu> wrote:

> Last Saturday I brought my laptop to church to show someone the DVD (it's
> about Bible translation and two people had tried to play it on their
> Windows
> boxen without success - I'm going to ask them to try VLC). I put the laptop
> on the table and he pulled a sound cable and a video cable and plugged them
> into the laptop. The sound immediately came out of the room's speakers. He
> then tried pressing function keys to get the video to come out, but nothing
> happened. How can I tell the laptop to output to the video connector?

The simplest method is to plug in the external monitor while the laptop is
off.

Some laptop BIOSes will auto-configure the ports based on what's detected at
startup.  Some will enable/disable the external ports via a Fn (blue
function key near the left Control key) key combo (usually Fn+F5), but that
doesn't always work with X11.

If X11 is configured correctly, and RandR 1.2 support shows as enabled in
/var/log/Xorg.0.log, then you can use either the CLI xrandr tool or a GUI
version like krandr (for KDE) to configure all the screens.  However, this
will only work if X detects the external port at startup, which usually
requires the cable be plugged in before X starts.

--
Freddie Cash
fjwc...@gmail.com